hi, October 11th I received a emax porcelain all ceramic crown on one of my upper back teeth. November 10th, I went back to the dentist because the crown had turned rough on the bottom and side. He polished it and told me it was my fault from grinding my teeth or eating hard food. Since then I have worn a plastic guard to bed (I got it when I purchased a teeth whitening kit from a dentist years ago and he made a plastic mold of my teeth to use at night with the whitening agent) and have made sure I don't eat anything harsh on my teeth. It is now December 6 and my crown is rough again. I think it is getting rough from brushing my teeth which should not be happening, right? I know when I call the dentist to report this he will blame me again. From reading it sounds like maybe the crown was fired at a low temp causing it to become a rough surface, can this happen. I also read a rough surface crown collects more bacteria. What are your thoughts? Thank you

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 07 - December - 2011, at 03:59 AM

• Roughness of dental crown can be because of grinding or clenching of teeth, eating hard food stuffs or can occur if you are brushing too forcefully on your crown. Any kind of irritant in relation to crown can also cause roughness. Use of very abrasive tooth paste can also lead to dental crown surface roughness. Plaque and calculus deposits tend to accumulate more if dental crown surface is rough. Deposits around crown can lead to gum infections in relation to dental crown and may lead to pain in tooth with crown. If dental crown has got rough, then you can get it polished. Make sure not to eat very hard food stuffs with dental crown and don’t brush too forcefully with tooth brush on dental crown. If you are using some abrasive tooth paste, then you can change your tooth paste. Firing at low temperature can’t lead to roughness of dental crown. You can continue wearing plastic guard to avoid clenching of teeth and further roughness of  crown. To avoid any food deposits around your dental crown, you can use an Interdental tooth brush. For more info on problems after getting dental crown, refer to….    http://www.identalhub.com/article_problems-after-crown-placement-272.aspx

Free Dental Consultation