Hi i had a root canal done to my last wisdom tooth on the bottom left. IT was done on march 10, its been 3 days and my gums are still very sore and it hurts when i put pressure on this tooth. Is this normal? I had an infection in the tooth and i was put on antibiotics before the root canal, and im on a stronger one now. I just wonder if this is normal and for how long should this last? the pain is not so bad I cant sleep or eat or anything I can. I cant really tell if its getting better a little bit or no and i now its only been three days but i just want to be sure this is normal.

Leave Comment

Comments

• shilpa

shilpa 10 - August - 2011, at 23:07 PM

• hello sir,thanks for ur answer.bt it can also be possible na by extracting that molar and replacing new.plz reply.thanks

• dr ritz

dr ritz 10 - August - 2011, at 03:04 AM

• When the infection is deep and reaches the pulp, then root canal therapy is done. To remove the infection, root canal therapy is important. You really don't have to be afraid of rct. Root canal therapy is done after giving anesthesia and there would be no pain during the procedure. You can take antibiotics but that would not subside the infection. If you want to save the tooth root canal therapy has to be done.

• shilpa

shilpa 09 - August - 2011, at 21:04 PM

• i have so much infection in my molar.but i m so afraid of rct.because it causes so much pain.is there any alternative to rct? plz reply.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 13 - March - 2011, at 20:07 PM

• After Root Canal Treatment (RCT) it is normal to have pain in the tooth especially if the tooth is infected before. It may take upto a week to settle down. The pain is because of instrumentation done during the root canal treatment which evokes the foreign body reaction. This is perfectly normal and in the meantime avoid eating from that side and donto irritate the tooth further. Try to maintain good oral hygiene with gentle brushing on that side and wait for another 2-3 days. Keep taking meds regularly as prescribed by your dentist and if even after week you donot become comfortable or the pain starts decreasing, then you have to visit your dentist. For more info on problems after root canal treatment you can read this article ... www.identalhub.com/article_complications-and-care-after-root-canal-therapy-106.aspx

Free Dental Consultation