I'm having sharp pain under tongue and around wisdom teeth but only on my right side that pass though my ear. It hurt when I talk,swallow and yarn. I hurt more at night than during the day. I'm currently taking ibprophen and cough drops to ease the pain but they really don't work.

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 22 - October - 2011, at 02:12 AM

• Pain can be because of wisdom tooth eruption or can be because of temporomandibular joint disorder. If wisdom teeth are impacted, then it causes pain which may be radiating to the ear and neck and along with that, swelling of the jaws and gums are present. In case of TMJ disorders, pain is present in and around ear which may spread to face and tenderness of jaw muscles is present. In case of TMJ disorders, patient will have pain in opening the jaw wide, chewing and while yawning and along with that clicking sound is present while opening the mouth wide and head ache or neck ache is present. TMJ disorder occurs due to clenching or grinding of teeth or occurs due to malocclusion. Without clinical examination, it is difficult to give definite diagnosis. If it is because of impacted wisdom tooth, then wisdom tooth extraction is required. Before doing the extraction, dentist will take an x-ray to determine the position of wisdom tooth and if pain is because of TMJ disorder, then physical therapy, muscle relaxants and surgery may also be required. You can refer to your oral surgeon. For more info on signs and symptoms of TMJ disorders, you can refer to following article… http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-are-the-signs-and-symptoms-of-tmj-disorder--193.aspx

Free Dental Consultation