I had a root canal done about a year ago and last night out of nowhere my tooth fell out. I'm not concerned about losing the tooth and i can't afford to go the dentist right now. So my questions are, why would my tooth that wasn't even loose completely fall out? Is this is a serious problem, and should i be in a rush to get to the dentist? Thanks for the help.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - June - 2011, at 18:29 PM

• It looks like you did not go for crown after root canal treatment and due to it the crown part of tooth is broken. After root canal treatment the tooth becomes brittle and it can fracture as compared to normal tooth which has elasticity and can combat the masticatory forces. So after root canal treatment if one does not go for crown then this is common problem. It is not that you loose the whole tooth but only the crown part is broken and the root must be still inside the gums. There is no emergency as you have two options now. One is to get the root part pulled out and go for dental implant or fixed bridge or secondly you can go for post and core on the remaining loose structure. For more info on post and core you can read this article… www.identalhub.com/article_procedure-for-post-and-core-281.aspx

Free Dental Consultation