I bit my tongue ring and i believe i have chipped my tooth not my lower jaw is a bit swollen and I have severe headaches I dont know what is going on and I am starting to get scared can you please tell me what problem I am experienceing..?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 16 - December - 2011, at 04:32 AM

• Pain and soreness can be because of cracked tooth present or can be because of some infected tooth present in the mouth. Pain and swelling of lower jaw can also be because of wisdom tooth eruption. When the wisdom tooth is impacted, i.e. there is not enough space for wisdom tooth to erupt, then wisdom tooth causes pain which may also be radiating to head and causes swelling of the jaws and gums. If tooth is cracked, then it causes pain on biting and leads to soreness. Deep decay or abscess in back tooth can also lead to soreness, headache and swelling. Gum infection which can occur because of poor oral hygiene can also lead to soreness and swelling.  If you are in habit of teeth grinding or clenching, then TMJ problems can occur and cause headache. Without clinical examination, it is difficult to give definite diagnosis. You can visit your dentist for definite diagnosis and treatment. If pain and swelling is because of wisdom tooth eruption, then they can be pulled out if teeth are impacted. If cracked tooth is reason of pain, then treatment is required for the affected tooth. If dental pulp is not involved, then restoration can be done for cracked tooth and if dental nerve is involved, then root canal treatment will be required. If deep dental caries or abscess is reason of pain and swelling, then root canal treatment is required. If teeth grinding is cause of headache, then mouth guard will be given to you by your dentist to relax the jaw muscles. By the time, you visit your dentist, you can do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day to reduce the swelling. Avoid eating from the affected side and maintain good oral hygiene. For more info on wisdom teeth, refer to…   http://www.identalhub.com/dental-knowing-all-about-wisdom-teeth-719.aspx

Free Dental Consultation