2 weeks ago i had a large cavity filled. A week later I went back to have another tooth filled, while I was there the dentist check out the last tooth she had worked on. I had very little sensitivity in the tooth a first but it went away. As she poked at the tooth I still had no pain. That was on wednesday, then thursday morning I was rear ended. I ended up with severe cervical strain and pinched nerves. I was put on painkilles and muscle relaxers, Monday when I was not taking the meds due to having to drive i noticed that my jaw was hurting. The next day it was worse. Now wednesday it is unbearable and the dentist today said i have acute pulpitis in that tooth that we had all ready fixed. Is is possible that being rear ended caused the pulpitis in the tooth? I know my mouth slammed shut because i was singing to the radio.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 08 - June - 2011, at 19:09 PM

• It is possible that you have acute pulpitis as there can be trauma because of forceful occlusion due to rear ended force. When trauma is there, the compromised tooth, as in your case, it was a filled tooth gets hurt and because of shock the inflammation of pulp is there. The inflammation of pulp is called pulpitis and it can be reverable or irreversable. In reversable pulpitis, with time the tooth becomes normal as the inflammation subsides. But in irreverable pulpitis the pain does not subside as it does not recover. In this case you have to go for pulp therapy which can be Root Canal Treatment. In your case it looks like the pulp will heal with time and so just wait for a week but if the pain does not go then you have to go to dentist and get  the treatment done. Till then donot eat from that side and donot bite from that side and if needed you can take pain killer tabs.  For more info on situations where root canal treatment may be needed you can read this article... www.identalhub.com/article_why-is-root-canal-treatment-rct-required-299.aspx

Free Dental Consultation