My husband pulled one of his teeth about 3 weeks ago. It was upper lefthand eyetooth it was double rooted. He ended up with a headache, so I took him to the ER here in Helena and the doctor on call told him his mouth looked good inside. She(the dr.) gave him pain pills and antibiotics. My husband started the meds but by morning his left shoulder was hurting and he said his lungs felt like he had pnemonia. I ended back at the hospital a second time and they X-rayed his shoulder and lungs and the same dr. said no pnemonia. (Shethedr.)just gave him more pain pills. The 3rd time we went he seen a doctor at Urgent Care and he was very rude. Told my husband that he was just having withdrawels from meds. The pain aids didn't touch the pain so he didn't even take all those. Brian my husband finished the antibiotics about 11 days ago. He (my husband) is still having stuff come up from his lungs and his shoulder is feeling better now. But should it take that long to heal from pulling an infected tooth? Remember He (my husband pulled it himself.) It was infected and an eyetooth so could that cause infection to run thru and make his shoulder feel like it was out of socket and cause him to have felt like something in his lung pop and have like elmers glue thats dry and a little thicker than elmers glue? He doesn't have an appetite and hes didn't eat for like the first week. He drank fluids even water and he said he can't quench his thirst. He has only took a few bites of food in the last 2 weeks. Why would he feel like he could not quench his thirst and what do you think?

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 24 - July - 2012, at 01:44 AM

• Dear CHANTAL,

Though it is very difficult to tell without any clinical evaluation, the reason for your pain and discomfort but there are chances that the infection due to broken tooth spreading to eye, neck and should. It can also lead to migraines. So my takehome advise is to visit a dentist, get an Xray done and get the tooth extracted. This will definitely decelerate the infection and thus pain.

• Chantal

Chantal 23 - July - 2012, at 23:26 PM

• I also have the cough with Phlem and hard time breathing. Im not sick, no other symptoms.

• Chantal

Chantal 23 - July - 2012, at 23:23 PM

• You are wrong Dr. Ritzd. One of my bottom left tooth broke at the jawline. It has become infected. first there was pain in the area and now really bad shoulder pain n ear pain. No extraction.its obvious there is a connection and im getting to my dentist. the infection is spreading is what it means!!

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - April - 2012, at 06:10 AM

• There is no reason to have pain in shoulder and arm after tooth extraction. May be due to pressure which is applied during tooth extraction or due to pain in jaw after extraction, the muscles on that side have become stiff and causing pain. You are right, pain should not be there after so many days after tooth extraction but it depends on procedure. If tooth extractions are surgical then sometimes due to bone cutting the healing is delayed and pain is there. You can wait for another 2-3 days and keep doing warm saline rinses. if it does not go or subside then taken second opinion as without clinical exam it is difficult for us even to comment on this.

• Ceyanne

Ceyanne 31 - March - 2012, at 06:30 AM

• My husband had a tooth pulled in his right lower jaw on Mon. 3/26(possibly a molar or the one right before the molars?) and he is having a lot of pain in his right arm and shoulder also. Still having a lot of pain in his jaw as well. he saw dentist yesterday and he did an xray to check for abscess and said everything looked fine. But everything is not fine. No way he should still be in this much pain or have arm and shoulder pain like that. Hes never had any kind of arm or shoulder pain before this week AFTER the extraction.

Free Dental Consultation