I had a composite filling (or at least I think that's what the tooth color, non-metal fillings are called) done last week on a front tooth--number 7. After the anesthetic wore off, there was still a slight dull pain which I initially ignored. I had actually gotten work done on tooth 8 as well and though that because the dentist had "sanded" in between my teeth and irritated my gums that it was just pain from that. I had initially expected the work to be located between the two teeth, but he said he noticed decay on the front face of the teeth (which I'm not sure I believe, I know my tooth surface was not smooth because the orthodontist I had only roughly sanded away cement--though he may have predestined the tooth to decay, orthodontic work was removed about 4/5 years ago) and I believe he drilled that away and filled it too as it is not covered with the filling material. However, now, a week later, my gums look fine to my sight. And I have noticed the dulling pain has not gone away (only tooth 7 hurts), and in fact it is now extremely sensitive to touch even slight movements like smiling makes my tooth feel like there is a swelling pain, and it is also sensitive to hot and cold--hot is painful for about a minute or two, and cold is not painful for the first 30 seconds or so but then there is a sharp pain that also lingers for a minute or so. I have searched online and have seen a couple possible reasons why this may be but I would love another opinion. I am very concerned because I am away from home for the summer and so cannot get to my own dentist, but am wondering if I should go to another dentist right away or wait a few weeks. The pain has started to become disruptive in my everyday life, but if it is something normal I may be able to train myself to ignore it a while longer. I have not used any medications, oral or topical, for this toothache or anything else since getting this work done.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 09 - June - 2011, at 19:09 PM

• Pain after composite filling should subside within one week of the work done. If it does not subside completely then atleast it should start decreasing in intensity but if it is increasing day by day and you have sharp hot and cold sensation then that means either the pulp is infected or the decay was quite deep. For this it is better you visit your dentist but if it is not possible then you can try using desensitizing toothpaste and can take some otc pain killer tab. As your symptoms are of reversable pulpitis in which pain is there when stimulus is applied and goes as soon as stimulus is not there, so there is some chance that tooth settles down and heals itself but if there is spontaneous pain and it lingers for long durations then you have to get the pulp treatment done for the tooth which will be Root Canal Treatment. For more info on conditions when root canal treatment is required you can read this article... www.identalhub.com/article_why-is-root-canal-treatment-rct-required-299.aspx

and for pain after filling you can read this article.. www.identalhub.com/dental-types-of-tooth-pain-after-dental-filling-814.aspx

Free Dental Consultation