I have a tooth, that is out of my normal line of teeth, and it is pushing up against another tooth. It has caused swelling in my gums and a lot of pain. My cheek has now become swollen, but the swelling in my mouth has gone down and pain has subsided. The tooth in question is healthy dentists in the past wouldn't pull it because it was healthy. What is my problem?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 30 - December - 2011, at 23:56 PM

• If your one tooth is out of normal line of teeth, then you can get treatment done for misaligned tooth. If only a part of tooth is misaligned and is poking the soft tissue, then selective grinding can be done to avoid any pain and swelling. If much of the tooth structure is out of normal line, then dental braces or invisaligns may also be required to bring the tooth in normal occlusion. You can also opt for cosmetic procedures like dental lumineers, veneers or dental crowns to correct the misaligned tooth. Duration of dental braces or invisaligns treatment is 18-24 months. Cosmetic procedures are faster as compared to braces treatment. If it is a wisdom tooth which is causing the problem, then it can be extracted. Wisdom teeth are last teeth to erupt in mouth and are more susceptible to infections. No treatment is required for wisdom teeth and they are pulled out if they cause any problem. If it is some other tooth, then it is not advised to pull the tooth out. To reduce swelling of cheeks, you can do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day. For more info on teeth straightening options, refer to…..  http://www.identalhub.com/article_how-to-straighten-teeth-without-wearing-braces-762.aspx

Free Dental Consultation