I don't know where and how I picked this up. I have recently acquired a very bad habit of chewing on the back side of my tongue. It's really irritating and i want to know if you have any suggestions on how to stop ?

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - September - 2011, at 00:38 AM

• Tongue biting habit can be because of bad bite or you may have developed the habit of tongue biting unconsciously or could be because of some sharp tooth or missing tooth. It can be really irritating and may increase the incidence of canker sores and may cause bleeding on the tongue.  Make a self conscious effort to stop this habit of tongue biting. If your bite is not correct, then get your teeth aligned. Make sure that there are no sharp and missing teeth in the mouth. If there are any sharp or missing teeth present, then you can consult your dentist for this. The missing tooth should be replaced and the sharp tooth can be corrected by the dentist. You can try chewing sugar free gums which may provide some help.  If it bleeds after biting on the tongue, then you can keep a piece of ice or hold ice cold water in mouth until the bleeding stops  and swish an antibiotic mouthwash to reduce the chances of infection. For more info on good oral hygiene, you can refer to the following article.. http://www.identalhub.com/article_good-oral-hygiene-231.aspx

Free Dental Consultation