Hello -- I believe I may have an abscessed tooth and wanted to make sure as best I could before seeing a dentist. I would go to the dentist immediately however I have no insurance and know treatment will be very expensive so I'd like to determine the severity of my problem and I'd also like to know if there are measures I can take to help this problem before spending thousands to get it fixed. The tooth is chipped and there is a 'hole'. I have jaw swelling but no pain from the tooth or the jaw. The tooth in question is the second pre-molar. Thank you for your time!

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 07 - January - 2011, at 10:08 AM

• It looks like that your tooth is having infection. When the tooth has a hole and it is chipped and you do not have have any hot or cold sensation that means the tooth is necrosed and it is abcessed. As there is swelling and no pain it means the process is chronic not acute. In acute pain you have pain in the tooth. If you really want to save the tooth then you should go for the root canal treatment and above that you must have the crown. For more info on abcessed tooth you can visit the following link...www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-abscessed-tooth-204.aspx

Free Dental Consultation