Hi! I had a dental implant surgery about three weeks ago. The gums around the implant are still swollen and flabby (not tight like they should be). My oral surgeon told me to use disinfectant/antiseptic and make sure that it gets under the gums, etc (basically, pick at the area!) after every meal. I've been doing that for almost two weeks and it's still not changing! It's not getting worse, and it doesn't hurt unless I pick at it deep under the gum. What do you suggest I do? Would you say that this may risk the success of my implant?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 13 - January - 2011, at 20:45 PM

• It looks like that you are not using the antiseptic mouthwash properly. You should not irritate the gums which are in healing process. You should use mouthwash thorougly but should not try to irritate gums. You can visit your dentist and find out the proper technique of using this solution. As such it takes some time for gums to heal after dental implant surgery. The sucess of dental implant depends on maintainenance of proper oral hygiene which will maintain the health of gums. So along with using antiseptic solution you should try to maintain very good oral hyg. For more info on dental implants you can browse following link in our website.. www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-dental-implants-25.aspx

Free Dental Consultation