I think I may have an abscess but I'm not sure. I have poor teeth (Do not have the funds to remove them and get dentures) and it started with a toothache on a broken tooth on the bottom row towards the back. The pain was excruciating and to date the only thing that has helped relieve the pain is liquid anesthetics (Advil worked in the beginning but no longer helps) It was throbbing and would send sharp pains to my ear and temple. Starting yesterday the tooth itself became sensitive to the touch. There is no swelling inside my mouth and my gums do not hurt. But after I woke up this morning I notice a slight swell under my chin along the jaw bone (very slight but extremely sensitive to the touch. On the inside the pain is under my tongue. Now that the pain is there my tooth hasn't hurt. I can open and close my mouth fully with only little discomfort but if I touch the area it is very tender. I have insurance but I have no money to pay for the deductible and extraction. Is this an abscess and if so what should I do?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 25 - April - 2011, at 09:46 AM

• from your symptoms it loks like that you have an abcess as you have pain and the swelling and your tooth is also broken. With abcessed tooth you should not take the chance as the infection can spresd espacially f the swellng is under the tongue and then it is very difficult to treat the infecton. First of all you should visit the dentist who atfer seeing the case clinically will give you pain killers and the antibiotics which you have to take regularly as precribed and once the swelling and pain is controlled then you should go for the treatment from dentist. If you want to get is pulled out or you want to save it depends on the diagnosis. If you donot have money and dental insurance then you can go to some dental school near your home where treatment is cheap and sometimes even free with no compromise on dental treatment quality. For more info on abscessed tooth you can read this article... www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-abscessed-tooth-204.aspx

Free Dental Consultation