In the very back, where my top and bottom jaw connects, i have something maybe a tooth or my jaw trying to come through sideways. Its past where my wisdom teeth would be. Im not sure what this could be. Its very very sore and swollen. I can feel whatever it is. It hasn't broke the skin.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 14 - October - 2011, at 01:17 AM

• Jaw pain in the back of the mouth can be because of wisdom tooth eruption or can be because of eruption of any supernumerary tooth. Wisdom tooth may not be coming straight and may not be coming in normal position. If there is not enough space for the wisdom tooth to come, then the tooth becomes impacted. In such cases, it may not even break the skin and remain impacted in the bone or soft tissue.  Impacted wisdom tooth causes pain and swelling of the jaws and pain may also be radiating to the head and the neck region. Wisdom teeth don’t aid in mastication and are to be removed if they are impacted or are infected. You can refer to an oral surgeon for getting the wisdom tooth pulled out. Oral surgeon will take an x-ray before pulling out the tooth and if tooth is impacted, then surgical tooth extraction is done to remove the tooth. By that time, you can do warm saline rinses to reduce swelling and for some pain relief. Avoid eating from that side and clean till the end of the jaw.  Maintain good oral hygiene. Any food accumulates in that area can aggravate the pain. For more info on wisdom teeth, you can refer to following article…..  http://www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-wisdom-teeth-152.aspx

Free Dental Consultation