I have a seven-year-old who has a small cavity in his second-to-the-back molar. The cavity is not super aggressive, there is no pain nor abscessing, but I have noticed is has slowly gotten bigger and slightly darker as the years go by - I noticed it about 2 years ago. I am confused as to whether or not to have this treated as I have heard conflicting reports that milk teeth don't effect the permanent teeth - is this true or should I get it sorted? The treatment is rather costly to us, but we want to do what is right and the treatment seems good, as the dentist want to get rid of the infected area and then rebuild and repair the milk tooth with white enamel... The rest of his teeth are fine and he regularly brushes, morning and night, and I watch him to do a good job of it too. We also do not use water when brushing to allow maximum effectiveness of our toothpaste, The kids toothpaste I have noticed does not contain fluoride, which I have heard is a good thing, but my second question is, WHEN is it OK for my son to brush with fluoride toothpaste? Many thanks, Jill Griffiths

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 29 - July - 2011, at 11:05 AM

• First of all go and get the decayed tooth restored as the tooth which you have mentioned will be replaced by the adult tooth approx. at the age of 11 years and till then if the baby tooth gets infected it will surely effect the tooth bud of the adult tooth. The baby teeth are very important in maintaining the integrity of the arch. If due to any reason they have to pulled out then the adult teeth do not come in proper alignment. They can be crooked and if they got infected then hypoplasia of the adult tooth can be there. So go to your dentist ASAP and get the baby tooth restored.Regarding the fluoridated tooth paste your child can use the fluoridated tooth paste . they can be used if the child is above 4 years of age and can spit properly For more info on children dentistry you can visit the following link.....http://www.identalhub.com/article_caries-and-children-228.aspx

Free Dental Consultation