Nine weeks ago I had my bottom right impacted wisdom tooth surgically removed. Everything went well and my pain in my jaw subsided after a month. The hole is still not closed up yet. Just a few days ago I noticed below the extraction site, near my jaw, it is tender again when I push on it. I have no fever. I read where it can take months for this to heal. Is it normal to experience discomfort until it heals, or could this be an infection starting?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 24 - January - 2011, at 19:58 PM

• Yes, you are right .It takes months to completely close the extraction socket after getting the surgical extraction depending upon the type of impaction and the amount of bone that has to be removed for the wisdom tooth extraction. In the mean time you have to be very careful about the oral hygeine as the chances of food impaction are more and if the proper oral hygeine is not maintaineed and that area is not kept clean then the secondary infection can take place which can cause the pain and discomfort. So try to maintain the oral hygeine and do warm saline rinses 2 to 3 times a day. If the tenderness and pain does not subside then you can visit your dentist. For more info on wisdom tooth extraction you can visit the following link......www.identalhub.com/article_problems-after-removal-of-wisdom-teeth-254.aspx

Free Dental Consultation