I have a old broken tooth with an old dental filling in it. The tooth broke several years ago and part of the filling also broke off. I had left the tooth like this and ate food regularly. Just recently I felt a strong pain while chewing and it stopped me from doing everything. I was sitting there holding my jaw for about 1 hour as the pain was very intense. I know I hit a nerve because on the other side I've had a root canal done and the pain I experienced was very similar to this one. The only difference is this recent pain lasted very long and today is the 3rd day. The initial strong pain only lasted about an hour but the tooth still has some pain when biting down. The gums were slightly swollen but now it is going away. I tested the tooth by chewing and drinking cold water. It feels there is no life in the tooth anymore. I dont even feel the cold shock I did before. Does this mean the tooth has died after this enormous pain or the nerve as been killed or damaged? Will my tooth eventually fall out?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 27 - April - 2011, at 20:08 PM

• If there is no hot and cold sensation then that means the tooth is nonvital  i.e. the pulp in it is dead. But that does not mean that the tooth will fall out The root canal treatment is done in such teeth. After root canal treatment also the tooth is dead with no vital tissue but that does not mean it cannot do the normal function of chewing the food. The only difference is that the tooth becomes brittle and can fracture and that is why after root canal treatment the crown are indicated so that the tooth does not fracture. For more info on root canal treatment, you can visit the following link  www.identalhub.com/article_procedure-for-root-canal-therapy-105.aspx

Free Dental Consultation