i have a receding gum line. i've got something stuck somewhere, and it's agony. there's a sore on the roof of my mouth. the only way to aleve the pain is to put cold water in my mouth. when i don't have the water in my mouth, it burns, and my teeth ache. i've been doing it all weekend (no sleep). i'm calling a dentist tomorrow. is there something else i can do for the pain?

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 21 - November - 2011, at 02:44 AM

• For soreness in the roof of mouth, you can put cold water. Apart from this, you can apply orajel over site for some relief. Avoid eating too spicy and hot foods as it will cause irritation. OTC pain meds like acetaminophen can be taken if pain is very severe. You can also take vitamin supplements for faster healing of sores to take place. Avoid any kind of irritation in that area. You can use a soft brush for brushing. If your gums are receding, then you need to get treatment done for it. Receding gums look unaesthetic and cause pain and sensitivity later on. Receding gums can occur because of forceful tooth brushing, traumatic bite, clenching or grinding of teeth or can occur because of deposits in relation to teeth. If recession is because of forceful brushing, then stop it. If receding gum line is because of traumatic bite, then it can be corrected by the dentist. Make sure that there are no deposits around teeth. Periodontal surgery is required if gum recession is severe. If there is sensitivity present due to gum recession, then you can sue desensitizing tooth paste. Refer to your dentist to get your teeth evaluated. For more info on gum recession, refer to….   http://www.identalhub.com/article_treatment-and-causes-of-gum-recession-887.aspx

Free Dental Consultation