Hi - I am facing the choice between bridge or implant (or gap), upper right rear, I think #13. The tooth was extracted 5 years ago, after two root canals years apart failed to clean out all of old roots and I had in infection in there for several years. When the tooth first cracked, after 2 canals,before extraction, it actually opened a passage into my sinus - had a wierd breeze where one never blew before. The passage I think is no longer open, however, I still have intermittent sinus problems in that area. Is this preexisting sinus issue reason enough to go with bridge instead of implant? I'm on limited income and will in all likelihood be going to a low-cost clinic for the work, though both would involve some "out of shop" work too. Is this another factor favoring bridge v implant? Thanks!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 23 - February - 2011, at 09:16 AM

• In your case when you had perforation to sinus during extraction and afterwards also since you have sinus problem in that area, it is not advisable to go for implant as implant is screwed into bone and it may again perforate your sinus. In your case it is advisable to go for bridge as in bridge there is no surgery needed. However in case you are keen on dental implants, you can visit an Oral Surgeon or Periodontist who after taking pano and evaluating your case will decide whether implant is indicated or not. For more info on dental implants you can read this article... www.identalhub.com/dental-what-can-be-dental-implant-problems-559.aspx

Free Dental Consultation