Yesterday morning, I had a slight, throbbing pain in the corner of my mouth where my lower jaw connects. I didn't think anything of it because I still had wisdom teeth coming in and went on with the rest of my day, no issues. This morning, however, the pain is close to unbearable. The swelling has progressed to partially cover my wisdom tooth and my lower jaw on that side hurts from the outside. I can barely open my mouth without pain, have serious trouble swallowing and/or chewing. To top it all off, I am in Italy until December and am a little worried about going to a dentist here. What is going on? Is there anything I can do about it? I can barely stand the pain!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 03 - October - 2011, at 04:16 AM

• Pain can be because of wisdom tooth eruption. If wisdom tooth is partially impacted, then it causes pain in the jaw and pain may be radiating to the ear and the neck.  You can do warm saline rinses to reduce the swelling and make sure to clean till the wisdom tooth area to avoid food accumulates there. Food accumulates and deposits will aggravate the pain and swelling.  It is better if you consult your dentist for this. He will take an x-ray to see the positioning of wisdom tooth and if the wisdom teeth are impacted, then they are removed. Wisdom teeth don’t aid in mastication and no treatment is required for them. You can also take some pain meds and antibiotics after consulting your dentist for some relief. Pain can also be because of some other infected tooth present in the mouth or can be because of gum infection. Without clinical examination, it is difficult to give exact diagnosis. You have to refer to your dentist for this. For more info on wisdom teeth, you can refer to following article…  http://www.identalhub.com/dental-knowing-all-about-wisdom-teeth-719.aspx

Free Dental Consultation