Hi, I am 19 y.o. and I have an adult canine in the place of my right lateral incisor, where the permanent teeth is actually missing. In the place where the permanent canine should be, I still have the deciduous / baby canine. It doesn't look too bad, although sometimes I think it looks a bit like a "vampire". Another problem is that the deciduous tooth is always getting smaller, although it's still healthy. What is the best to do? What are my options? I don't wanna go through a long orthodontic tratment as I'm about to enter college.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 18 - May - 2011, at 19:08 PM

• The baby canine which is still present at the age of 19 is not going to last long as ultimately it will fall off because they are not meant to be permanent. You have to get some treatment done, may be in later stages. The adult canine which is in place of missing lateral incisor can be given the shape of lateral incisor and the baby canine which when comes off can be replaced either by dental implant or fixed bridge if you donot want to go for orthodontic treatment. Best treatment option is to get this baby tooth pulled out and get spaces closed by orthodontic treatment otherwise lateron when this baby canine falls off, then you have go for prosthesis. If you are apprehensive of wearing braces due to their appearance then there are many kinds of cosmetic braces available like lingual braces (these are fixed at the back of teeth and donot show) invisialign braces (these are just transparent trays which can be easily put and taken off by wears or you can wear at night) or there are sapphire or ceramic braces also which are tooth colored and are not noticable. So go ahead and make your choice. You can discuss the options with your dentist. For more info on choosing right kind of braces you can read this article from given link, this will help you in understanding the braces better and make choice.        www.identalhub.com/article_choosing-right-type-of-braces-159.aspx

Free Dental Consultation