I was to a dentist approx. 9 mos. ago with a cracked filling. He drilled it out and replaced it. It is a large filling with 3 surfaces . He said I might need a root canal down the road or could just have it pulled. The pain went away and was fine for 9 mos. I think it now occurred again due to me grinding my teeth at night. I have severe pain and noticed the tooth is loose. Today it suddenly feels much better. In the past 9 mos it was fine and was not loose. To prevent future problems should i 1. Have a root canal done ? 2. Have it pulled and put in a bridge ? 3. let it go some more and see if it is OK ? 4. I will start wearing a brace when sleeping to see if it occurs again ? It is the second molar from the back of the jaw. Does it make sense to have a root canal being that it's loose ... it do you think it might be OK again once I start wearing the brace at night ? I've been taking Advil; maybe that suddenly helped the inflamed nerve. Also I've been applying Ambesol. Thank you. Joe

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 27 - April - 2011, at 09:58 AM

• It is better to go for the root canal treatment as it is always better to save the tooth than to extract it. If you get it pulled out and go for the bridge then the two adjacent teeth which are used as the abutment will also have to be reduced. The mobilty in this tooth can be because of the infection and when the root canal is performed the mobility will go but that has to be confirmed by the X-ray. If there is bone loss then it is better to get it pulled out. For more info on root canal treatment you can visit the following link....www.identalhub.com/article_diagnosis-of-root-canal-treatment-297.aspx

Free Dental Consultation