I have been experiencing pain in my right facial area around all the teeth off and on for a week or so thought it was associated with a Tonsil Stone that I had at the time. Now the pain seems to be centered on one tooth that I broke awhile back and haven't had the money to fix. The tooth hurts to apply pressure or bite down. Sometimes severe sometimes not so much. The pain seems to come and go, and is easily relieved by 2 Ibuprofen. I can feel my pulse in the tooth after biting down or applying pressure. There is no fever, no swelling, no sensitivity to hot or cold, but the pain can get quite severe with pressure at times. I am trying to figure out if this is an abscess or just a deep cavity. I am not doing that well financially and I am mostly trying to determine if this is something I can deal with on a routine appt that I have coming in about a month or something I need to find a way to go ASAP. Thanks.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 13 - September - 2011, at 22:40 PM

• In case of tooth abscess, severe throbbing pain is present. There is pain on biting down and on applying pressure. If the infection spreads further, it can lead to swelling and the tooth might become mobile or get extruded from the socket. There might be dental abscess present in the tooth.  You can take some antibiotics after consulting your dentist. Only antibiotics will not serve any purpose. Drainage should also be established. Warm saline rinses may provide some relief.  You need to get treatment done for your infected tooth. You can get root canal treatment done for the infection followed by capping. It is not something which you can deal with routine appointment. If treatment is not done for the tooth, then it can lead to extreme pain and can even make the tooth loose. If you don’t have much money, then you can approach any of the dental schools near your place where treatment provided is cheap. For more info on abscessed tooth, you can refer to the following article… http://www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-abscessed-tooth-204.aspx

Free Dental Consultation