About a year back, I had a root canal on the tooth on the bottom jaw, the tooth right of the wisdom tooth on the far left. This had a temporary filling in place and never got filled and replaced due to lack of funds. This temporary filling is on the verge of breaking a year later, and I was wondering what sort of side effect might happen if the temporary filling breaks and the hole in my gums are exposed? I am worried that,due to my extremely poor dental health care, this could become a major problem,as most of my back teeth are chipped,replaced, and/or totally destroyed down to the base of the tooth. Most of my frontal teeth are fine, so I wouldn't see them as a direct problem. Any advice on how to preserve the temporary filling another month while I wait for insurance? AGE 16,MALE

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 20 - April - 2011, at 07:57 AM

• It is better if you get the permanent filling done. If the temporary filling comes out the tooth can get infected and then either you have to get the tooth pulled out or go for the re root canal treatment. If the temporary filing comes out and you are not in position to go to the dentist then for the time being you can fill your tooth with the temporary filling material available OTC. But this is a temporary alternative. For more info on complications after root canal treatment you can visit the follwing link.... www.identalhub.com/article_complications-and-care-after-root-canal-therapy-106.aspx

Free Dental Consultation