Ok, I went to the dentist, they looked at the tooth and at the xray they took and said it "looks" like the decay is close to the nerve and IF they try to fill it they might hit the nerve in the process (but they wouldn't know if that will happen until they start to drill) and IF that does happen then... I would need root canal (and I said I would just rather have the tooth pulled if that ended up being the case) then I was like do I even want to invest if "trying" for the fillings(1st temporary for 4-6 weeks and if that is asymptomatic, then do a permanent filling) only to realize that in the drilling they expose the nerve and then that will have been for nothing. The dentist said that she could temporarily fill the tooth(no novacaine, just scrape out food and fill it) until I could decide what I want to do.....so that is what I did. She said if I decided to have it pulled she would send me to an oral surgeon. So right now all I have is this very temporary filling and I am waiting for the Metlife insurance to price out how much it will cost to do the filling (or to try the filling......and then if it doesn't work and it is costly why do it? I might just go straight to getting it pulled,because I don't want to go through all the cost of the fillings IF once they start to prepare for the filling (temporary one for 4-6 weeks and if there are no problems with that then permanent one), what do you think? and why would I need to go to an oral surgeon to get the tooth pulled (and will it cost MORE) why can't the dentist just pull it? Thanks.

Leave Comment

Comments

  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 06 - January - 2011, at 20:14 PM

  • First of all you sould decide whether you are really keen in saving the tooth at any cost or not. In my opinion saving the tooth is very important. Natural thing is the best. Even if you get the tooth pulled out you have to go for the replacement of the tooth and that will also be very expensive. If you go for implant you have to go through the surgical procedure of getting the implant and above that the crown and if you opt for the fixed then the adjacent two teeth are also effected. So you should try to save the tooth. YOur dntist is right in suggesting that first you should get the temporary and then the permanent and if the nerve gets exposed then for root canal treatment. Your dentist is sending you to the oral surgeon as the tooth s decayed and chances of fracture during extraction are more .so on such cases it is better to go to the specialist even if it costs more. For more info on root canal treatment you can visit the following link....www.identalhub.com/article_why-is-root-canal-treatment-rct-required-299.aspx

Free Dental Consultation