I have a cousin who is 19 years of age and up to this point in his life he has not been able to speak. It has been known that his tongue cannot lift up and his communication is a variation of grunts that mimic words and only the people who live with him can understand him. Obviously this has handicapped him in many ways in his life. I have found that this condition is treatable and i WOULD LIKE TO GET IT CORRECTED FOR HIM.I would like to know what kind of doctor i should go to to get treatment for this ankyloglossia or tongue tie. Thank you very much for your time.

Leave Comment


  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 10 - January - 2012, at 01:17 AM

  • Tongue tie is a problem which is caused by abnormal development of tongue and in this condition; tongue is tied to the floor of mouth. With tongue tie, frenum is too short and thick which further causes speech problem and difficulty in swallowing. Surgery for tongue tie can be done by an oral surgeon. Laser treatment or surgery with scalpel can be done for correction. Type of procedure which is adopted depends on tissue attachment and cooperation of the patient. Laser treatment is less painful and less invasive procedure but is comparatively more expensive than scalpel treatment. For more info on abnormalities of tongue, refer to…..    http://www.identalhub.com/article_abnormalities-of-tongue-238.aspx

Free Dental Consultation