My husband had a tooth extraction a week ago on his upper left molar. He was smoking from the day of the extraction. He had eaten a breakfast burrito the next day and had food stuck in the hole. He's not a dentist, but had asked me to clean it with hydrogen peroxide. Basically since the day after the procedure, I've been taking q-tips, dipping them in hydrogen peroxide and cleaning the affected area every night. About 5 days after the procedure, he rinsed his mouth with mouthwash and the mouthwash came out of his nose. He still has considerable pain and when I use the q-tips there is blood and yellow pus-like stuff that is thick and semi-hard. I don't think I've been doing the right thing, but he claims it makes him feel better. I feel like I'm hindering the healing process. His dentist is out of town and I thought writing here might help. THANK YOU!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 05 - September - 2010, at 08:37 AM

• It looks like he has the perforation if the mouth wash is coming thrugh the nose. The upper molars are very near to the sinus and some times perforations do occur. and as he was smoking from day one it has caused the dislodgement of the clot and hence the infected socket. You have to go to the dentist . He will clean the area and give the sutures along with the dressing. For more info on complications after the tooth extraction you can visit the following link.......http://www.identalhub.com/article_do's-and-don'ts-after-tooth-extraction-153.aspx

Free Dental Consultation