Hello, I really need a 2nd opinion...I am not totally comfortable with my dentist's recommendations. My dentist recommends that I have a tooth extracted due to infection and have bone graft surgery immediately afterwards. The total out of pocket expense for me is $722. My question is what exactly is the benefit of the bone graft surgury? I thought it was to rebuild the bone so that I could have the an artificial tooth replaced later. However, the tooth is on the bottom right side 2nd one from the back. Is it necessary to have the bone graft? or should I just have the tooth extracted and not worry about cosmetic changes later. Also, since the dentist says the tooth is infected, are there any other alternatives to saving the tooth. About a year ago, I had deep scaling performed on one side and I was really happy with the results, but my new dentist says it was unnessary. Would the deep cleaning solve the infected tooth?

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 13 - September - 2011, at 18:55 PM

• There are lot of options for saving an infected tooth but those depends on type and extent of infection. If the infection is due to tooth decay then Root Canal treatment can be done to save the tooth but if it is due to some gum problem then deep scaling or flap surgery is done to save the tooth. But there are certain limitations like if bone resorption is there and tooth is mobile then sometimes the tooth cannot be saved. Whether the tooth cannot be saved or not, can only be ascertained only after doing clinical and radiographic examination. Your dentist must have arrived at this conclusion after checking all these things.

Bone grafting after tooth extraction is done when lot of bone resorption is there and one has to go for dental implants. Bone grafting can be done afterwards also if the need arises. If you are not comfortable with your dentist then you can consult another oral surgeon. Bone grafting is usually not a covered procedure under insurance whereas tooth extractions are covered in the insurance. for more info on bone grafting you can read this article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-bone-grafting-343.aspx

Free Dental Consultation