Do we really need to remove our wisdom tooth or is it way for dentist to hustle us? Now do keep in mind that long ago people didn't have their wisdom tooth remove so how did that go if you could answer this? Could you also explain to me the consequence of not removing the wisdom tooth? My wisdom tooth is actually poking out and the pain from a scale of 1-10 is like a 2 really minor. Problem is I'm having trouble explaining the importance of removing it without her thinking it's just temporary and just a waste of money.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 21 - January - 2012, at 01:28 AM

• With evolution, size of human jaw has decreased and there is not enough space for wisdom tooth to erupt. When there is not enough space for wisdom tooth to erupt, then the tooth becomes impacted and causes severe pain which may also be radiating and causes swelling of the jaws and the gums. Wisdom teeth are last teeth to come and it is difficult to clean till the wisdom tooth so they are more susceptible to infections. In case of infected wisdom tooth, wisdom teeth are removed and no treatment is done for them as wisdom teeth don’t aid in mastication. If wisdom teeth are impacted or are infected, then they are removed but if they are straight and don’t cause any problem, then patient doesn’t need to get wisdom teeth removed. If wisdom teeth are poking soft tissues, then selective grinding can be done for wisdom teeth. If wisdom teeth are quite misaligned and are out of line, then extraction will be required for them. You can visit a dentist for treatment of your wisdom teeth. If they are not causing any problem, then you don’t need to pull them out. Make sure to clean till the end of jaw to avoid infection of wisdom tooth.  For more info on wisdom teeth, refer to…..   http://www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-wisdom-teeth-152.aspx

Free Dental Consultation