About a year ago My dentist did several Root canals on me. He removed Crowns to do this. After he was done he said I had to pay to have the crowns replaced because my insurance did not cover it. Needless to say I could not afford even one and now my teeth are chipping away and it is getting very difficult to eat. Is this normal? Should he have told me this before he removed the crowns etc..?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 27 - April - 2011, at 20:17 PM

• You have to get the crown removed to get the Root Canal Treatment done.If it is painful then before that you can take antibiotics and painkillers and once pain is subsided then get the crown removed. The dentist will section the crown to remove. Once the infection is subsided it should not be painful to remove the dental crown.

• Monica

Monica 27 - April - 2011, at 17:09 PM

• If i need a root canal on tooth 46..the tooth has a crown which was done in 1998 but it fell off and was recimented in nov. 2010..should i let the dentist go through the tooth or take the crown off and have a new one made..please let me know not sure what to do...apparently really painful to have the crown removed...thank you..

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 23 - April - 2011, at 20:28 PM

• Old crowns are difficult to remove and dentist has to cut them or section them to remove them. This leaves them not fit for reuse. The normal procedure is to section crowns, remove them, do root canal treatment and put the new crown. This is perfectly normal. I think he must have explained you treatment plan before moving with treatment. Insurance does not pay for crowns before 5 years depending on company to company. Now getting crown in root canal teeth is extremely important as root canaled tooth becomes brittle and there are chances of its getting fractured. One more thing, I am surprises whey you had crowns with root canal treatment. You can now go for carecredit for finance of treatment. For more info on restoration after RCT you can read this article... www.identalhub.com/article_restoration-of-root-canal-treated-tooth-300.aspx

Free Dental Consultation