My mother had severe tooth pain that started about a week and a half ago. She went to the dentist, and he did x-rays and a clinical exam. Upon finding nothing, he diagnosed her with sinusitis and prescribed her amoxicillin. A couple of days later she was still having the same level of pain, and this time went to her PCP. He seemed to not be exactly sure, but agreed that sinusitis can have pain referred to the tooth. He gave her ibuprofen and told her to continue the antibiotic. (As an aside, she has no nasal drip, no mucus). So now for the past week she has been taking 3200 mg ibuprofen every day as prescribed by the PCP (along with the abx), and the pain has not lessened. Just yesterday she also noticed that she has visible swelling of the gums behind her last molar on the top right, and along with this has difficulty swallowing. I have become very concerned, and would like to get to the bottom of this. As an aside: she is very healthy with no medical issues whatsoever, she does not smoke nor drink, and she walks 8 miles a day. I would appreciate any light that you can shed on this situation.

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 15 - November - 2010, at 19:56 PM

• It is difficult to give any diagnosis with out seeing the case clinically and with out seeing the X-ray's. As you said that there is swellig in relation to the top right molar so it can be some gum infection or there is some cracked tooth which is very difficult to diagnose. May be the tooth got a crack and hence the pain was there and now it has got infected so swelling is there.  In cracked tooth as the crack is not visible it is difficult to diagnose . The other cause can be some gum infection . For more info on dental pain you can visit the following

Free Dental Consultation