Hi. I have a large cavity in my first top left-hand molar, and a large portion has broken off. A dentist I saw said I need a root canal but I cannot afford it. I’m taking ibuprofen and Aleve in an effort to stay ahead of the pain which is working for the most part. I also have a prescription for hydrocodone but I’m trying to make it last. However, a tooth on the bottom of the same side is starting to hurt like crazy, a deep, sharp pain down in the bone that even the hydrocodone seems unable to alleviate. In addition my jaw and cheek bone on that side hurts including the joint. Are these pains the cause of my cavity or perhaps is there something else going on? Are teeth nerves sufficiently intertwined that pain caused by one tooth can be felt at another location? Oh, I’m also taking penicillin just in case there’s an infection. Thanks.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 02 - January - 2012, at 04:14 AM

• If a large part of upper tooth is broken and nerve of the tooth is exposed, then root canal treatment will be required to save the tooth. Antibiotics and pain meds will provide some relief but will not remove the infection. To remove the infection, root canal treatment will be required. Pain in the bottom side of the jaw can be because of radiating pain due to infection in upper tooth or can occur because of infected, decayed lower tooth. Eruption of wisdom tooth of lower jaw can also lead to pain in cheek or jaw joint. Without clinical examination, it is difficult to give definite diagnosis. You can visit your dentist for evaluation and treatment. Get root canal treatment done for your upper molar to remove the infection. If you don’t have money for root canal treatment, then you can visit a dental school near your place or can look for free dental clinics near your place. You can also talk to your local dentist if you can pay in installments for treatment. If pain in lower jaw is because of infection in tooth of lower arch, then you can get treatment done for lower infected tooth. If your lower wisdom teeth are erupting and teeth are impacted, then surgical extraction of wisdom tooth will be required. For more info on dental pain, refer to…..    http://www.identalhub.com/article_why-dental-pain-or-toothache-87.aspx

Free Dental Consultation