My doctor has recommended wearing braces. Can you suggest me, for how long do I need to wear braces. Also, it would be of help if you can just describe the factors that determine for how long does a person need to wear braces?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 29 - November - 2010, at 05:49 AM

•  

Since the advent and emancipation of human in the 21st century, fashion has taken centre stage in major areas of life even to the extent of medicine and medical applications have been used to their fashion benefits on human, like plastic surgery, and the likes. Braces are no exception in the fashionista’s plight, as more and more people without dental difficulty now use braces to show fashion prowess, so much that the American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics, in a published report, shows that dental braces with no visible metal were considered the most attractive.
    Braces have typified some kinds of fashion orients in different people that sought cosmetic designs to tooth outlook, even those that possessed downright bad dentition, that they feel do not look “attractive” have sometimes accepted wearing braces as remedial or complex boost.
    When supplying answers to such question as how long one will have to wear braces, some varied factors mainly decide how long, which are;
    -          How severe is the condition being treated?
    -          The location of the brace
    -          The age of the patient
    -          How to Keep Braces Clean
    -          Also, the case of “root resorption” during use
    All these factors have to be considered to determine the duration of use for braces.
    The highest period of use is 6 years, while the shortest ranges from 4 – 6 months and above. Braces need to be checked between one or two months for progress and further adjustment as patient progresses with its use.
    Although, when people decide to wear or use braces for “cosmetic reasons” such do not need to be checked for repositioning or progress since the reasons for use is clearly stated, and as such will continue using the braces when it remains in place and will only have to visit the orthodontist if the braces remove or detach from their base due to time!

Free Dental Consultation