I had all four of my wisdom teeth extracted 9 days ago. It hurt and ached like normal. All of the pain has gone away except a new pain has replaced it but only in one area. On the tooth that had to be completely cut out there is a throbbing pain. It throbs but also feels like the pain when a tooth is really sensitive, except it is not on a tooth. It is in my jaw and the pain shoots through my whole lower jaw on that side of my face. Pain medicine does help the pain so I don't believe it is a dry socket.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 20 - January - 2012, at 01:54 AM

• Pain after 9 days of tooth extraction can be there because of infection of tooth extraction socket or can occur because of TMJ dysfunction after tooth extraction. During teeth extraction, mouth has to be kept open for a long time which can lead to TMJ problem and jaw pain after extraction. Pain can also be there because of normal healing or can occur because of dry socket in which blood clot is dislodged and causes severe, radiating pain. Food accumulates in relation to tooth extraction socket which can cause secondary infection can also lead to pain. Without clinical examination, it is difficult to give definite diagnosis. You can visit your dentist for evaluation. If pain is because of dry socket, then medicated dressing and pain meds will be given to you and if there is TMJ dysfunction, then physical therapy, heat therapy, muscle relaxants and occlusal splints may be given to you by your dentist. By the time you visit your oral surgeon, keep extraction socket area clean and take the meds as prescribed. For more info on complications after tooth extraction, refer to…..   http://www.identalhub.com/dental-complications-after-tooth-extraction-881.aspx

Free Dental Consultation