i have a sore front tooth with a bit of a decay at the back. my gum on my left side is swollen up to my nose and its continuosly pain.i have tried nurofiin to ease the pain and brushing my teeth when the pain begins again. do i have tooth decay? how can i get rid of this pain and swelling?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 20 - August - 2011, at 00:51 AM

• It seems that you have tooth decay and gum infection present in the tooth. The cavity may be deep that’s why you are experiencing continuous pain. The swelling on the gum is due to gum infection present. Gum infection occurs due to plaque and calculus deposits around the teeth due to poor oral hygiene or because of trauma to the gums or can occur because of the tooth decay. You can do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day which can reduce the swelling of the gums.  Maintain a good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing regularly to avoid deposits around the teeth. Gum paints can also be used. If the gum infection is severe, you may require dental cleaning for it.  You need to get your cavity restored from the dentist. After clinical and radiographic examination, your dentist can access whether the cavity can be restored by filling or root canal therapy is required for it. When the infection reaches the nerve that is the pulp, then root canal therapy is done.  In this, the infectious portion of the tooth is removed followed by filling and capping of the tooth. For more info on root canal therapy, you can refer to the following article… http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-is-root-canal-therapy-rct-102.aspx

Free Dental Consultation