I had a wisdom tooth removed 4 years ago that was impacted! The dentist said another one was impacted but wasn't hurting me so I didn't get it removed! It started coming in and hurting about 2 years ago! And a year later I was diagnosed with hypertension/High blood pressure and I'm having headaches in the back of my head near the jaw bone! Could the high BP and headaches be from the wisdom tooth?

Leave Comment

• Joe

Joe 09 - June - 2012, at 04:35 AM

• What irks me is that my dentist almost didn't pull my hurting tooth because he was so frightened of my high blood pressure. He also warned me that he won't see me next time till I get meds for hypertension. Look, the tooth got pulled, and there was no gusher at all. This business about not treating patients is defensive medicine gone crazy. If I want to avoid expensive meds with all their bad side effects, that is my business. One day I will address my blood pressure, in my time, in my way. I can go back to vegetarianism and fitness. But in the meantime, if I finally get money to address a tooth, I want it pulled. After that tooth was pulled I was able to stop drinking hot coffee and teas which didnt help my blood pressure. Who knows if my teeth didnt cause my heart problems. Dentists need to knock it off. They can take my blood pressure, but keep it to advice. If I want a nanny, I will pay for it.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 17 - May - 2012, at 23:30 PM

• SEAN, there are no chances that wisdom tooth leads to hypertension. Its just the anxiety due to pain and inflammation as a result of wisdom tooth impaction. I suggest you to visit the dentist and get an Xray done to know the exact location of wisdom tooth and if it is or will cause any problem than you should better get it extracted...For more info regarding tooth extraction you can visit the link...http://www.identalhub.com/dental-what-is-surgical-tooth-extraction-procedure-889.aspx

• Sean

Sean 16 - May - 2012, at 19:45 PM

• What I don't understand is doctors always say that impacted wisdom teeth are not the cause of high blood pressure but they say impacted wisdom teeth can create infections and pain. I thought pain and infection can cause the bp to rise? Doctors never give an exact reason why the bp rises however, I would like to know because. I have really bad impact wisdom teeth on the bottom and I assume its causing really bad ear pressure or worse ear infections. I get neck discomfort and my blood pressure fluctuates during episodes. Can someone educate me more on pain and bp and the wisdom teeth?

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 16 - January - 2012, at 00:29 AM

• When there is not enough space for wisdom teeth to erupt, then the tooth becomes impacted. Impacted wisdom tooth can lead to headaches but don’t lead to high blood pressure. You might be experiencing headache because of hypertension. High blood pressure causes headache, dizziness, palpitation etc. Impacted wisdom tooth can causes severe pain which may also be radiating to head and neck region and causes pain and swelling of the jaws. Impacted wisdom tooth can also lead to crowding of front teeth and bad breath and difficulty in mouth opening. If wisdom teeth are impacted, then you can get them removed. Surgical tooth extraction is done for impacted wisdom tooth. Wisdom teeth don’t aid in mastication and are susceptible to infections so they are removed. For more info on wisdom teeth, refer to…..    http://www.identalhub.com/dental-knowing-all-about-wisdom-teeth-719.aspx

Free Dental Consultation