Dr. What causes your gums to bleed pretty heavy, during a crown prep. I have healthy gums and my doctor says I have no medical problems that should have caused this . Also to mention within a 24 hour period, I went to the dentist he prepped me for a root canal. I went that say day and had my root canal done with no infection and know problems . I went back to the dentist the following morning as he requested, to put my temporary crowns on . The dentist was drilling around alot and my gums started to bleed and he ask me was I taking any aspirin.. What would have caused the bleeding? I dont take aspirin. I take synthroid and he is aware off that, and I take no other meds and none prior to going in . Thanks for your advise It would be appreciated.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 19 - November - 2011, at 04:34 AM

• During crown preparation, all the surfaces of tooth are reduced. Tooth preparation is done from upper and side surfaces for dental crown to fit on prepared tooth. While preparing cervical portion of tooth, gums may have got injured and could cause bleeding. Excessive bleeding can occur in case of hypertensive patients, patients with bleeding disorders or if the patient is on some anticoagulant drugs like aspirin. Excessive bleeding can also occur because of trauma to the gums during tooth preparation. In case of gum infections too, excessive bleeding occurs. If excess bleeding was due to trauma to the gums, then gums will heal in some time. You can do warm saline rinses or use an antimicrobial mouth wash for faster healing to take place and keep the area around prepared tooth clean to avoid any secondary infections. For more info on procedure for dental crown placement, refer to…   http://www.identalhub.com/article_procedure-for-crown-placement-270.aspx

Free Dental Consultation