Hello, I had 4 fillings on my second to back molars (both sides, top and bottom) back in June. Ever since then I haven't been able to chew any hard food on either side of my mouth. I went back to the dentist in July and he shaved down the high spots. I still had the same pain only when chewing. He told me to try sensodine, I've been using it for 6 months and I still can't chew. I went back today and he took xrays, which didn't show any issues, no infection or anything. He also had me bite on a wooden stick to see if I had any sensitivity and I didn't feel any pain. Then he mentioned that I had some grooves in my teeth that may be the issue and that sealants may work. But here's the thing, I had those grooves in my teeth before the fillings and didn't have any pain chewing until he put the fillings in. He didn't offer any other solutions, but told me to keep using the sensitive tooth paste and to stay away from acidic food. That's great, but it doesn't solve my problem of not being able to chew. I'm only 26 and need to be able to chew a vegetable, which I cannot do today. Do you have any other suggestions on what the issue could be? It's the same area in my mouth on both sides and I'm wondering if my nerves are just more sensitive there? He also did some fillings on some other teeth, but I don't have any issues with those. Thoughts? Thanks!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 21 - January - 2012, at 01:15 AM

• Pain after dental filling can be there when dental filling is too high or when filling is close to the nerve. Crack in tooth can also lead to pain on chewing and is difficult to diagnose by x-rays and clinical examination. Sometime infection is not visible in x-rays and dentist after sensitivity, vitality and percussion tests can make out that whether root canal treatment is required or not. Sensitivity of teeth can occur because of tooth wear or can occur because of recession of the gums. Without clinical examination and without seeing the x-rays, it is difficult to give definite diagnosis. If filling is close to nerve, then root canal treatment may be required for infected tooth. If tooth is cracked, then treatment is done for the cracked tooth. You can visit a dentist for evaluation and treatment.  By the time you visit a dentist; you can continue using desensitizing tooth paste and avoid too acidic foods which can lead to erosion of teeth and problem. For detailed info on pain after dental filling, refer to……   http://www.identalhub.com/dental-types-of-tooth-pain-after-dental-filling-814.aspx

Free Dental Consultation