i just got my tooth pulled 4days ago. now its feeling like the tooth behind the one that was pulled is hurting. i cant clench my teeth together because it hurts what should i do

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 20 - December - 2011, at 01:36 AM

• Pain in tooth behind the tooth which was pulled out can be because of referred pain or can be there because of  trauma to the adjacent tooth during tooth extraction or can occur because of infection in the adjacent tooth. If it is referred pain, then it will regress on its own after some time by healing of tooth extraction socket. In case of simple tooth extraction, extraction socket heals completely in 7-10 days and after the extraction socket gets healed up, pain will regress. Trauma to the adjacent tooth is one of the complications which can occur during tooth extraction. It can occur because of injudicious use of instruments during tooth extraction. If the adjacent tooth is cracked or is fractured during tooth extraction, then treatment is required for it. If there is infection present in adjacent tooth, then infection needs to be removed from the tooth and treatment is done for the tooth. As of now, you can wait for other 2-3 days and if the pain doesn’t regress, then you can visit your dentist for evaluation. By the time you visit your dentist, you can do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day and keep tooth extraction socket area clean to avoid any secondary infections. Take the meds as prescribed and follow the instructions of your dentist. For more info on complications during tooth extraction, refer to…   http://www.identalhub.com/dental-complications-during-tooth-extraction-880.aspx

Free Dental Consultation