I have 21 teeth left & need dentures. Was told at initial mtg with oral surgeon that I should have the bone grafting done by him for each tooth @ 200 each. My dental insurance wont pay for this. Without this part, I can barely pay for the rest of my out of pocketcosts, (approx $1,800.)This extra $4,200 means I must forget the entire dentures, because I simply cannot afford it. The dr wont do the work until he's paid in full. When I told his insurance/payment dept, she suggested that I just get some done, maybe the bottom teeth. She also pointed out, that he didn't refuse the surgery if I passed on these grafts all together. So, my question is how important are these, is he trying to push an unnecessary procedure on me? I just dont have any resources for this cost, but am gravely concerned of the future consequences if I skip them totally. Please give me your advise. Thank you so very much!!!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - March - 2011, at 20:10 PM

• Whether you need bone grafting or not depends on the amount of bone loss and this can be judged only after clinical examination and evaluating the xrays. If the bone is very less and you go ahead and get dentures especially the implants then failure of implant can occur. But whether you need bone grafting or not, you can take a second opinion from another dentist because there is possibility that may be all teeth donot need bone grafting.  Another option can be that you can go segment wise to cut the cost but it is always better to get whole mouth done for better stability of occlusion. My advice is to get second opinion about bone grafting. You can go to some dental school near your home where the treatment will be world class at affordable rates. For more info on dental implants you can read this article.... www.identalhub.com/dental-understanding-dental-implant-bone-grafting-682.aspx

Free Dental Consultation