I had a root canal about 4 years ago and the tooth recently has begun a rapid decay. Now only the outside (cheek side) of the tooth remains above the gum line. It is the left bottom molar (not wisdom) in the back of my mouth. I want to know if I can have the tooth extracted in a normal visit or if oral surgery is my only option.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 15 - April - 2011, at 10:46 AM

• Sometimes extracting root canal treted tooth becomes difficult and while pulling it out lot of bone cutting has to be done as root canal treated tooth is brittle. If this is the case then healing is delayed. In such cases it may take around 6 weeks to 3 months but if it is quite painful and there is swelling the schudule an appointment with your dentist and get is examined.

• deannewton

deannewton 15 - April - 2011, at 05:52 AM

• Had a rootcanal extraction 3months ago but still hav eaching in the gum, is this normal

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 28 - August - 2010, at 19:49 PM

• After root canal treatment it is mandatory to go for the crown otherwise the tooth keeps on fracturing. This happened in your case also. Now the tooth is broken and you want to get it pulled out and  as the tooth is already rot canal treated it becomes brittle and dificult to pulled out. So it is better you go to the oral surgeon for the extraction.for more info on tooth extraction you can visit the following link.....www.identalhub.com/article_ways-of-tooth-extractions-150.aspx

Free Dental Consultation