For the past 4-5 days, I have had this sensation that I had a piece of food stuck between my teeth.et I tried flossing everytime I brushed my teeth and was unable to get ,anything out. About 2 days ago it felt as though I had a lump on the roof of my mouth, and was somewhat painful, similar to a canker sore. At times, I do get nerve pain, but if I drink and cold or warm liquid the pain gets better and not worse. The same goes for food too. Do I have a potential tooth abscess? Or does a canker sore cause nerve pain? If it helps at all, I've eaten quite a few strawberries, and a few glasses of lemonade. Any advice is appreciated.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 07 - September - 2011, at 03:20 AM

• It doesn’t seem like you have tooth abscess. In case of tooth abscess severe throbbing pain is present and tooth is tender on percussion.  The sensation of food stuck between the teeth can be because of gum infection in that area. To treat gum infections, you need to maintain a good oral hygiene. Brush and floss regularly. You can even use a mouth wash for it.  The nerve pain can be because of some decayed tooth present. In cases of initial decay, sensitivity to cold is present and in case of advanced decay, patient will feel sensitivity to hot food stuffs and pain is present. Nerve pain can also be because of excess citrus fruits or lemonades.  The lump on the roof of the mouth could be a canker sore or may be caused due to some trauma in that area. Canker sores are self limiting and will heal on their own in 10-14days.  Canker sores don’t cause nerve pain. For the canker sores, you can apply some anesthetic gel over that area which may provide some pain relief. Taking vitamin supplements may facilitate the healing of canker sores. For more info on canker sores, you can refer to the following article…  http://www.identalhub.com/article_canker-sore-234.aspx

Free Dental Consultation