Hello, I am a bit concerned. I got my wisdom teeth pulled august 2010 and have had problems of infection since. January 6 i had surgery for them to go in the extracted side and clean it out and clean the gum. Well it has been a week and i have been expierencing a sharp like electric pain and i cannot tell if it is just in the whole or if it is the nerve. I am very very scared. This pain comes and goes. Sometimes it feels like it is below my ear and by my throat. Any thought on what this may be? and if it is nerve damage will it heal?

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 14 - January - 2011, at 20:17 PM

• It is just a week since you got the extraction socket cleaned, so the pain is normal and at this stage it is difficult to say whether this pain is because of the healing process or due to nerve damage. Maintain good oral hygiene so that extraction socket does not get infected again and there is no secondary infection. Follow all instructions given by your dentist and take your meds regularly as instructed. Even if there is nerve damage, the healing takes place but it may take some time, may be 3 months but if is just beacause of healing process then it will go within 3 weeks.  You can do warm saline rinses or can use some good antimicrobial mouthwash for infection free mouth and healing. For more info on complications after wisdom tooth extraction, you can read the following article in our website... www.identalhub.com/article_problems-after-removal-of-wisdom-teeth-254.aspx

Free Dental Consultation