I am having pain in my jaw right above my wisdom tooth on my top right. The tooth was impacted, my dentist pulled out my molar right next to it to make room for it (I get free dental, he didnt want to send me to a surgeon- he's my cousin). So now it looks like my tooth straightened itself out (but idk I haven't had any recent x-rays), but for some reason my jaw hurts and has been for almost a week now. Last night the pain go so intense, and no medication helped ease the pain. It hurts when I open my mouth wide, or move it up and down or side to side. Doesn't hurt when I eat though. It didn't hurt bad until last night. IT's really sore, and when I apply pressure on it it hurts more. It's only above the wisdom tooth and that is it.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 29 - November - 2011, at 01:35 AM

• If wisdom teeth are impacted and it doesn’t have enough space to erupt, then extraction of the wisdom tooth is done and not the molar adjacent to wisdom tooth. If molar adjacent to wisdom tooth is infected and is non-restorable, then it can be extracted to create room for wisdom tooth.  Pain can be because of infection in the wisdom tooth or can be because of temporomandibular joint disorder. TMJ disorder causes pain on opening the mouth wide and causes tenderness of jaw muscles. Gum infection or decay of wisdom tooth can also cause pain. If the wisdom tooth still has not erupted, then it can cause pain in the back side of the jaws along with swelling of jaws and gums. If there is swelling present around the gums, then you can do warm saline rinses to reduce the swelling. Make sure that there are no food accumulates around the wisdom tooth which can aggravate the pain. If pain is because of TMJ disorder, then physical therapy, muscle relaxants along with occlusal splints can be given. Visit a dentist to get exact reason of jaw pain diagnosed. By that time, you can take OTC pain med or can apply orajel for some relief. For more info on wisdom teeth, refer to….   http://www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-wisdom-teeth-152.aspx

Free Dental Consultation