Hi. Concerning wisdom teeth. Is it true that they make your face look wider if you don't get them pulled? Also, if you have wisdom teeth on 1 side of the face pulled; and the other side yet to do so. Will that cause a facial size inbalance b/w the 2 sides of a my face? Also, sometimes i deal with discomfort on the side where the wisdom tooth has not been pulled. But i have a decay tooth pulled out; and i haven't replant a tooth there. Is it more likely that's it's the empty space in the gum that's causing the discomfort or the wisdom tooth that's not pulled out?

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 06 - January - 2012, at 02:29 AM

• Wisdom teeth usually cause no change in facial appearance. If wisdom tooth of one side is extracted and wisdom tooth of other side is not extracted, then it will not lead to any facial imbalances. If there is enough space for wisdom tooth to erupt, then wisdom tooth causes no problem but if there is not enough space for wisdom tooth to erupt and tooth is impacted, then surgical extraction of wisdom tooth is done. Pain on side of wisdom tooth can be there because of infection of wisdom tooth or because of gum infection in relation to wisdom tooth. Pain can also occur because of missing tooth on that side of the mouth. If a missing tooth is not replaced after tooth extraction, adjacent teeth will start shifting towards the missing tooth and teeth of opposing arch can supra-erupt. Missing tooth can further lead to various gum infections. It would be better to get the missing tooth replaced with dental implants or dental bridges. Dental implants are best option for missing tooth replacement. If it is second molar which is missing, then wisdom tooth may be moved towards the missing tooth area with braces. If wisdom tooth is infected, then extraction of wisdom tooth may also be required. Without clinical examination, it is difficult to give definite diagnosis. You can visit your dentist for definite diagnosis and treatment. For more info on wisdom teeth, refer to…..     http://www.identalhub.com/dental-frequently-asked-questions-about-wisdom-teeth-920.aspx

Free Dental Consultation