Hello, I had a root canal work recently on my upper front tooth and the nerve was removed. My doctor did not insert a post saying that it would require a crown as a consequence and that it would change the apppearance of the tooth (it will change color, etc). He also said that this is an overall complicated procedure in my case. At the same time, he said that this tooth has a tendency to rotate over time. Also, the tooth without a post is fragile and my doctor said that I need to take a good care of it. Now I don't know what to do -- I don't want to loose my tooth over time, and on the other hand I don't want my tooth to loose appearance. So, my question is how dangerous is it to be without that post for upper front tooth? Thank you very much!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 21 - June - 2011, at 08:40 AM

• It is not always that post is inserted after root canal treatment. Post is given when the tooth structure is lost and the support is not sufficient for crown. The post does not change the appearance of crown as now fibre posts are available which are translucent in color and donot show. In your case you have not written whether tooth structure was lost or not. Normally after Root Canal treatment, crown is given to save the tooth as the tooth becomes brittle and is more prone to fracture. For more info on post and core you can read this article... www.identalhub.com/dental-what-are-pins-and-posts-in-dentistry-757.aspx

Free Dental Consultation