I just had a root canal done last Friday (little more than a week now). There was a good amount of decay, but the dentist reassured me the procedure went well; she was very thorough in cleaning. Said I was 10% that experience immense pain post treatment. I felt unbearable pain for the following two days. Then I finally received prescription anti-flammatory and anti-biotics. Pain seemed to subside for the rest of the week, until the following Friday/Saturday I felt moderate throbbing pain at night. I had my final crown placed that saturday, and now its tuesday and ii woke up at 3am feeling throbbing, piercing pain continuously. THe ibuprofen/tylenol was not helping much, i can still feel piercing pain on/off. Here's the thing, the pain seems to incur especially when at night when I lay down on my pillow, I feel pressure on the back of my head and when i get up the toothache heightens. If i sit up for a while, then pain slowly subsides. Did my dentist hit a nerve or something or will this lying down pain eventually go away?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 04 - May - 2010, at 19:39 PM

• Normally after Root Canal Treatment pain can be there for 2-3 days but it should go away after that. If you are having pain after a week and it is increasing in intensity specially if it is more when you lie down, that indicates that tooth may be still be having infection. For this you have to visit your visit your endodontist, who will make sure that your crown is not high because sometimes due to high crown this problem of pain can be there. If it is not because of crown then xray has to be taken. If pain is due to infection then Re-Root Canal Treatment has to be done to save the tooth. For more info on problems after Root Canal Treatment, you can read this article from our website...  www.identalhub.com/article_complications-and-care-after-root-canal-therapy-106.aspx

Free Dental Consultation