I have a 30-year old cap on a front eye tooth, which also has a root canal and post (also 30 years old). There is now a cavity under the cap, and my dentist has given me two options: extraction and implant later (he has referred me to a peridontist to make sure I have enough bone structure), or extraction & replace with permanent bridge. I am taking a z-pac now for any infection. He says that I will not be able to remove the cap and replace it since it is older and I have the root canal. Is there anything else that I can do? It takes 6-9 months for my gums to heal before I can have the implant. Thanks.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 17 - August - 2010, at 20:29 PM

• The treatment depends upon the amount of bone loss. If the bone is sufficient then you can save the tooth . The crown can be removed by cutting it. that way the tooth will not come to any harm and there is no harm in cutting the cap as it has to be replaced. But if the periodontist says that the tooth can not be saved due to insufficient bone then you have to go for the extraction and best is to go for the implant. though it takes time to heal till then you can use removable partial dentures commonly known as flippers. For more info on dental implants you can visit the following link.....www.identalhub.com/article_what-are-dental-implants-173.aspx

Free Dental Consultation