I had a tooth extracted about 2 years ago, just recently the gum where the tooth was extracted became swollen and was hurting a little, then i felt drainage in my mouth. I rinsed with warm water several times and flushed with hydrogen peroxide rinse. It is bleeding a little today. Is this an abscess?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 29 - August - 2011, at 01:55 AM

• The swelling could be because of deposition of plaque and calculus in that area which may lead to gum infections. You need to maintain a good oral hygiene for this. Brush and floss regularly. You can do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day to reduce the swelling of the gums. The drainage in the mouth can be because of gum abscess in that region. In case of tooth abscess, there is severe pain so if you are experiencing severe pain, then it can be because of infection in some other tooth. Without clinical examination, it is difficult to give an exact diagnosis. You need to consult your dentist for this. For more info on abscessed tooth, you can refer to the following article.... http://www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-abscessed-tooth-204.aspx

Free Dental Consultation