got pain in the left lower back tooth, 6th tooth from the middle for the past one year. took xrays and nothing is wrong wit my tooth. why do i have pain then? i have pain while biting hard on the tooth. and while eating.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 23 - August - 2011, at 00:11 AM

• Pain can be because of cracked tooth which is there due to trauma or if the tooth becomes weak due to some reason.  In case of cracked tooth, the diagnosis is difficult to make. Clinically and in X-rays, nothing is visible. There is sharp pain in the region which can’t be pin pointed.  There is pain present when pressure is applied in that area. Depending on the crack line, Root canal therapy or extraction may be required in case of cracked tooth.  It can also be there due to gum infection in that area or can be a referred pain due to some other infected tooth in the mouth. You need to consult your dentist for this.  Gum infection can occur due to plaque and calculus deposits around the tooth which can cause pain and sensitivity in that region. You have to maintain good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing regularly if the pain is due to gum infection. You can do warm saline rinses if there is gum swelling in that area. It is difficult to give an exact diagnosis without clinical examination; you need to consult your dentist for this. For more info on cracked tooth, you can refer to the following article… http://www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-cracked-tooth-205.aspx

Free Dental Consultation